With the London Marathon fast approaching, running is on everyone’s mind. For runners, it’s THE event of the running calendar whether you’re taking part or not.
Even if you’re not a runner, you can’t help but be inspired by the men and women who complete this distance every year. Men and women just like you who work full time and travel for business.
Running has enormous health benefits. It reduces your risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. It’s an excellent form of weight management and has been shown to help reduce stress, tension and anxiety.
Studies show work performance and productivity improve relative to your health and fitness so maintaining a regular exercise routine when travelling for business is vital for your career.
Running is such a simple form of exercise so why aren’t more business travellers running?
Lack of time and fatigue are the most common reasons and yet running will boost your energy meaning you can get more done in less time, so those excuses just don’t cut it anymore!
Here’s how to hit the ground running:
• Knowing why you’re running makes getting out the door much easier. Whether it’s weight loss, a charity run or your first marathon having a goal keeps you focused and motivated.
• You don’t need any special equipment. Shoes are the most important piece of running kit you’ll buy so be sure to get a proper fitting at a local running store before you go. Ladies should invest in a good sports bra too. Other than that wear what you feel comfortable in.
• If you don’t want to run alone, research local running clubs in and around the city you’re travelling to. Most will be delighted to have you join them for a training session.
• Running is an excellent way to familiarize yourself with the region you’re visiting. Where’s the fun in travelling from office to office if you don’t step outside? Use an app like ‘Map my run’ to discover the best routes.
• Some of your overseas colleagues may well be runners too. Get to know them better by buddying up for a run – they’ll certainly know the best local routes, and they might be well placed to give your career a boost too.
• If you don’t fancy running outside, your hotel gym will invariably have multiple running machines. Even better the machines will have pre-programmed workouts for all levels of ability. Hit the gym before breakfast for an energized and productive working day.
• When you run it frees your mind, thoughts flow easier and solutions to previously unsolvable work related problems emerge. Running gives you the mental space to unravel the business spaghetti!
There’s no doubt taking yourself out of the office environment when travelling is good for both you and your business. Carving out the time to exercise will boost your health and your career.
© 2016 ExtraVitality