As a business woman constantly on the go you may not need the fitness levels to run a marathon or knock out 100 burpees but you do need the stamina to survive the stressful combination of corporate travel and company business.
The quickest way to build up the stamina you need to ensure you stay both healthy and a top performer at work is to get consistent with your fitness.
When you look at your diary it can seem an impossible task to squeeze in workouts on top of all the travel, speaking events, meetings, and socializing.
But here’s the thing, working out while you’re travelling can be easy – you just need a few tips to get you started. Here are my top ten:
- Keep it simple. Your workout doesn’t need to be an elaborate routine or involve complex equipment. A body weight workout in your room will be just as effective as a weights or treadmill session.
- Pack your fitness gear. An obvious one I know but if you don’t pack your trainers and sports bra then you definitely won’t be inclined to work out!
- Book into a hotel with a gym. Make sure whoever does your travel booking knows how important it is for you to have access to a fitness facility.
- Walk everywhere and wear shoes you can walk long distances in! Alternatively, travel with two pairs, your business shoes and your walking shoes.
- Work out in your room. If you can’t get access to the hotel gym make use of your room and the best piece of equipment you own – your bodyweight. You’ll find some simple workout ideas HERE
- Find a business fitness buddy. With someone else on your side, you’ll be accountable to them as well as to yourself. It’s basic human nature that we don’t like letting people down. Do not underestimate the power of an accountability partner to keep you on track.
- Attitude is everything. Commit to staying fit whilst you’re travelling. Chunk out time in your diary whether it’s for a morning run, a lunchtime walk or an evening swim. Schedule your fitness slots and stick to them.
- Be prepared. If you’re planning an early morning workout leave your clothes right next to your bed so you can slip straight into them and get right on it.
- Get creative. Walk up and down the hotel halls, run up and down the fire escape stairs or do squats whilst you’re brushing your hair. Have fun with it!
- Stand up during long meetings, move around the room and do a couple of cheeky stretches. You’ll be surprised how many of your colleagues get up and do the same.
As a rule, business schedules don’t make allowances for staying fit so it’s up to you to take the initiative.
Committing to stay consistent with your fitness will keep you energized, focused and alert.
It’s not just about boosting your health it’s about boosting your career too.
© ExtraVitality 2016